BUILD BETTER TIPS
Building a home may be the most important and valuable investment that you make in your lifetime. Although you may delegate a number of services to your contractor or engineer, it is still important for you to have the best possible knowledge about the various aspects of the construction process
If economy is your concern, you can follow these tips to help you save construction costs:
- Avoid complicated forms of shapes.
- Avoid complex system of level.
- Insist on economic structural design.
- Provide maximum possible provision for natural light and ventilation.
- Ensure efficient placement of utilities like water-supply pipes, power cables etc.
- Use fresh, sound and durable building materials.
- Engage trained manpower.
There are a few additional factors that should be considered during construction of the various rooms of the house:
- The entrance is the place to entertain visitors and should be constructed in a visually appealing manner.
- For security reasons, the entrance must be constructed in such a way that it provides adequate protection to the house.
- The entrance also needs to protect the house against inhospitable weather such as harsh sunlight and excessive rains.
- The living room should be located near to the entrance.
- The living room should preferably face the lawn, wherever possible.
- Tall windows can add a lot of visual appeal to the living room
- The kitchen must have adequate ventilation and natural sunlight.
- It should be adjoining the dining room.
- The working platform must be adequately wide and free from obstructions.
- The design should provide adequate space for appliances such as cooking range, dishwasher, chimney etc.
- The bedroom should be located away from the entrance and living room to ensure privacy.
- The bedroom should be connected with a balcony and attached bathroom, wherever possible.
- Provide adequate storage facilities in the form of almirahs and cabinets.
- The bathroom must have adequate ventilation and natural lighting.
- The bath fittings and sanitary fittings must be of a high quality to withstand regular and prolonged use.
- The bathroom floor should be 5 cm lower than the other flooring of the house.
Vaastu is an ancient Indian science that works on the principle of Panchbhootas, a term referring to the five basic elements of the universe: Earth, Water, Air, Fire and Space. Vaastu is a science that attempts to achieve a synergy across all the five elements in such a way that the abode becomes favourable to its inhabitants. The optimum use of Vaastu concepts can help one achieve an atmosphere at home that is physically comfortable, emotional soothing and intellectually vibrant.
We have compiled a few Vaastu tips that you can use to enhance the positive effect of elements in various rooms of your home.
- East is the most auspicious direction for entrance to a house.
- The slope of the property should be from west to east or south to north.
- Shadow of a tree should never fall on the house.
- The north direction represents prosperity, and should never be blocked.
- Cactus plant should never be grown in the house.
- All doors should open towards inside.
- Door hinges should be noiseless.
- Columns in a building must be placed in even numbers in any construction.
- The main bedroom should be constructed in the south-west direction.
- Square and rectangle shape bedrooms are perfect for ensuring peace and prosperity.
- Avoid hanging pictures that depict violence or sorrow.
- Sleep with your head towards South.
- The north direction is ideal for the construction of living room.
- Air-conditioners should be in the west and not in the southeast section.
- Southern and western corners of the room are perfect for placing the furniture.
- Dining tables must have even-numbered chairs.
- The ideal location of the kitchen is the southeast corner of the house, with northwest being the second best option.
- Cooking activity should be done while facing east, as it’s an auspicious direction. The other option is north direction.
- Electrical items such as microwaves, juicers and mixers should be placed in the southeast corner of the kitchen.
- The refrigerator should be in the northwest, southeast, south or west.